Thursday, February 25, 2010

An Inconvenient Truth Blog 3 Reflection

An Inconvenient Truth

This movie was the start to my involvement with environmental action. I watched this film in high school and the very next day i was taking act on against climate change. I started off small changing bulbs in my home, turning off the lights in our home that were not in use as well as encouraging my family members to do the same if they did not need them on. When it came time for our old faithful dishwater to be replaced, I showed how much mor money we could save with an energy efficient one and we went with that model.

Being in high school at the time i was involved with a leadership group; the group was a course that was designed for teaching teens about leadership (obviously), team work, and various other skills, but mostly about getting to go camping, canoeing, and hosting a fair at our school. So having just seen this film, I wanted to teach others about its meaning, and ways that we all can reduce our carbon foot print. I discussed it with my teacher, and he was on board with it. I presented a slideshow of improvements i had down around the house, like compact fluorescent light bulbs, using cold laundry detergent (phosphorus free of course), hanging laundry to dry instead of a dryer, and others. I also showed what climate change looked like, what it meant for our generation, and also how with a few small adjustments in our own lives, we could make a difference and lower our carbon foot print. Other things i discussed were buying locally, miles per gallon, and voting for change.